Monday, September 06, 2004

Labor day

Hello everyone!!!

I am still in shock. I can't believe that I finally got my pro-card. I don't even know what to say. Thank you to all my fans, family, friends, and loved ones who put up with me during all the drama and pre-contest preparation. It has been quite a year-- to say the least. My dream-- finally came true.


How can I sum this experience all up in a nutshell. I started competing in 1998- ALL NATURAL NGA shows in New York City. My boyfriend and I loved to perform and thought this would be a great venue for us to showcase our talents. He was an olympic hopefull that got hurt during the parallel bars and I was a wannabe broadway dancer.

I just finished my Masters Degree at NYU and passed my certification to become a registered dietitian. I never thought that I could ever be a professional bodybuilder---although , it has always been a fantasy of mine.

After winning show after show--competing at around 132#, I decided to do a national qualifier in NOVI , MI ( THE PRO-WORLDS combined with a regional qualifier). It was a huge event. I actually won my MW class, I lost the overall, of course. I was so excited. I decided to try my luck at the TEAM Universe. I heard that it was drug tested and I thought, it is in NY and could get me some publicity. I also heard that the winner could compete in Europe. I placed 4th at the show. I was so excited. I didn't know what I was doing. I was just doing it for the experience.

Then, I got involved with MSNBC , they wanted me to compete at the Nationals 2000 in New York, as a middleweight. At the time, I was 175# in the off-season and didn't think it was possible. But, I was up for the challenge. I came in the most shredded to date at 132# and placed 6th out of 38 MW competitors. It was the year Kim Harris turned Professional. I was hooked. I decided, maybe I am actually good at this. The documentary was one of the most positive expereiences of my life.

To follow- many close calls. I placed TWICE ( 2001,2002) 1st place HW at the USAs , but NO OVERALL. I then followed up that performance with a 2nd place finish at the USAs 2003 at 155# and then, didn't even place in the top 15 at Nationals ( weighing in at 158#). Bigger was not better for me. It through off my symmetry and I just looked out of balance. I was so frustrated. I just couldn't figure out my body, what the judges wanted, how to get everything right... all at the same time.

Life goes on. It continues to evolve as does your training, diet, philosophy , etc.........I spent most of 2003 guest posing and reflecting on the sport. I wanted to keep myself marketable. I wanted to live life with no regrets. I wanted to be able to walk away from the sport without feeling like I wish I had done things differently. I took a good look at myself and decided I was going to compete at the TEAM Universe once again. I wanted to challenge my body to see what it could really do. It was scary--- after competing around 155#, at 149# I wasn't hard. I lost the overall and Pro-card to a light weight bodybuilder. I wasn't in shape. I needed to keep going. So, what does every bodybuilder do after a show-----------EAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did, but only for Saturday and Sunday. Then, back on the program. Monday. I started watching my body----it was looking better and better. I wasn't sure if I should compete at the North American or just wait until the Worlds in Spain. I was walking on the treadmill and I had a vision. I felt like the North American's was my show to do. I didn't know what I would weigh, how I was going to look, I just knew I was going to go for it. I was training great and the weight was dropping. I was 146# on the Tuesday after the show. I still had 3 weeks. I knew right then and there-- I might be able to make the LHW class. I had my reservations on doing so, but I was deciding on leaving it in the hands of fate.

My weight was staying around 149# ---I really thought that I was going to stay a HW. But, when I went to weigh in, I was 142#. Dave advised---go down to LHW. DO it. So, I suffered through the night and weighed in at 138#. The smallest I have been in 4 years.

I still can't believe it. I am waiting to wake up from the dream. But- it is a reality. I told myself when I started this whole journey that I would give myself 5 years to devote to getting my pro-card. I was almost out of time. I DID IT. I finally DID IT. My family was all there to watch my win and my good friends Tammie and Nate. It was so great. So much love. I can't thank all my friends, fans, phone buddies ( Amanda, you know who you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) for being there for me. I am a lot to take when I am dieting. I lose my mind. Plus, I hate doing cardio. It drives me insane. It can be such a waste of time. But- very necessary. I have to thank my dear friend Malea for helping me with my OIL--- she does the best OIL and COLOR of anyone I know. We have it down to a science.

I had a good eating day- to say the least- on Sunday. But- back on the diet Monday. I am focused and ready to WIN at the WORLDS. Here we go again. I hope this ole' body of mine can do it again.

It would be amazing to place top 5 at the WORLDs. You never rknow. I will keep you all informed. Please keep visiting my site-- lot's of pics to come. I have a lot of updating to do. Please be patient. I have to get all the pics.

Thanks you--------------all my friends!!!!!!!!! You know who you are-- I don't need to tell you. I don't need to go into any GREAT explanations. Those that have been there for me--- talking to me on the phone, helping me work through all my REAL LIFE DRAMA, and just being there for me -----you mean the world to me.

This is my DREAM---- and I am finally living it.

I LOVE LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 6, 2004 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Colette,

Great job and time to really celebrate this. You worked sooo hard for this, its YOUR TIME. As I've told you already, if you would have won before, it wouldn't have meant as much as it does now. You have been through so much... the fact that you accomplished this much shows you can do anything you can set your mind to, because you know NOTHING is harder than contest dieting.

I wish I could have been there for you at the show!!! I'm soooooo excited for you! A part of me feels like I won the show right along with you because I know the ups and downs you've dealt with... I couldn't be happier for ya girl! You've accomplished your goals and have become part of what will change the sport to go towards the marketable, more feminine look. Great job.

Now less than 2 weeks til Spain. Time to make an impact there too! Stay strong, stay on the diet!

Amanda

September 6, 2004 at 7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home